Author Topic: Colonel Sanders F-105 Pilot talk "Hanoi Jane"  (Read 317 times)

Shanee C

• Club Business
  • welcome
Re: Colonel Sanders F-105 Pilot talk "Hanoi Jane"
« Reply #3 on: Wed 10/16/19 10:12 AM »
Agreed and my post was focussed on that one aspect of the presentation that was inaccurate. I can see how her actions caused many veterans and their families' pain and how her unwise choices would make people feel betrayed by her. And as you mentioned, she has expressed her regrets for what she did, even though her intentions were to bring an end to the war. 

I only brought this up because, in an age where stories never disappear, I believe that we should be aware of what is true and what is not.

lgriffin

• E-board Group
Re: Colonel Sanders F-105 Pilot talk "Hanoi Jane"
« Reply #2 on: Tue 10/15/19 05:05 PM »
Vietnam/Southeast Asia is a very contentious issue in the U. S. still and opinions are all over the place. Of course we should deal in facts and not fallacy, and it is unfortunate that much misinformation persists.

While some of Fonda’s alleged actions don’t stand up to scrutiny, others do, and she has apologized for some of her actions and for her own self-described bad judgment. While claiming that both sides were using the POW’s for propaganda, she allowed herself to be used by the North Vietnamese for that purpose, something which service members did and still view as treasonous, i.e., aiding an enemy in time of war. She has said that she greatly regrets the infamous antiaircraft gun photographs.

Regards,

Lee Griffin

Shanee C

• Club Business
  • welcome
Colonel Sanders F-105 Pilot talk "Hanoi Jane"
« Reply #1 on: Sun 10/13/19 09:26 PM »
Hi
I found this talk and the images that were attached to it very interesting. As someone who has grown up in the UK and was born in the seventies, I have very little first-hand knowledge of the conflicts of South East Asia, both politically and militarily. Because of this, she was completely unaware that Jane Fonda had ever gone to North Vietnam. As someone who enjoys her work and supports her activism, this story was particularly shocking to me. My wife is a Navy veteran and she is a Fonda fan and she was shocked as well.

To that end, we decided to research this further. I found several sources that mentioned this story and it appears to be false (the part where Jane Fonda gave the SSN's of the POWs to a prison guard). Of course, I am fortunate enough never to have experienced warfare or a veteran but I do believe that it's important to judge people based on facts and not fallacies.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jane-fonda-pows/
https://www.americanheritage.com/unforgiven
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/09/18/how-jane-fondas-1972-trip-to-north-vietnam-earned-her-the-nickname-hanoi-jane/

If this offends you then that is not my intent and I apologize. Im not trying to disparage anyone but I do believe that we should judge people based on their actions and not based on false stories.